Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Windows XP ClearType Tuner

A very useful tool to improve appearance of fonts on XP systems is available from the Microsoft Typography group at


Can't read display without ClearType!

If you have ClearType enabled then take advantage of the ClearType fonts available, some specifically designed for programming. These fonts are fixed width, they are easy to read, and have a distinct different appearance between braces and parentheses, colons and semicolons, zeros and O, 1 and l and I, etc. 

My favorite font from the collection is Consolas which I use for all programming (Visual Studio 2005, Visual C++ 6, MATLAB, etc), word processing (Word, etc), e-mail (Outlook), and presentations (PowerPoint, etc). I absolutely love Consolas! (I can see!)

The ClearType fonts are available with Vista (my Home PC), Office 2007 (my work desktop). For other systems (my WinXP laptop and other older WinXP PC's I use/own) they need to be downloaded. As far as I remember you can download them if you have Visual Studio installed. (That might have changed in the last year.)

Changing fonts in Visual Studio 2005 is discusse here: 



No comments:

Post a Comment